Staying on the right side of technology
"We all have great power. We all have great responsibility." That’s what we believe when it comes to technology. The digital world offers us great opportunities: to inform, to learn, to think, to create, to act … but these wide-ranging possibilities also come with a shared duty, to behave responsibly. This is why we’re committed to co-building a world where everyone can make the most of the latest technologies, while being protected from the potential pitfalls. That's the message behind our new campaign which portrays the relationship of a father and his teenage daughter when she receives her first smartphone from him.
Encourage positive screen time
10 conseils pour gérer sereinement les écrans au sein de votre famille
1. Adapt screen time according to age.
2. Tell children beforehand how long they can use the screen. For example: "2 episodes of your cartoon, no more!"
3. Set the rules and limits according to the needs of each sibling and explain them clearly to avoid negotiations.
4. Choose content with them based on their age and the actual needs. To help you, look at the PEGI symbols (pegi.info)
5. Encourage regular breaks from screens and set an example.
6. Ban screens in the bedroom, at night and during meals.
7. Share these rules collectively and stick to them.
8. Make sure screens don't become an obsession or exclusive activity to the detriment of all others. Make yoursel available and suggest other ways to have fun together.
9. Warn children and teenagers about the potential risks of the internet and social media Remain attentive and listen to them.
10. Empower them by gradually increasing their independence, whilst still keeping an eye on them.
So, to sum up this inexhaustible subject...no two families are the same, so the most important thing is to be patient and caring, listen and use your common sense. Trust yourself!
To explore more advice and tips to guide your child through the digital world and use technology safely and responsibly, download the guide to encourage positive screen time.
Screen time for each age group
We’ve invited screens into our homes, and our children have followed suit. What rules can we establish to use our digital tools more responsibly? We can start by limiting screen time for very young children and gradually extending it as they become teens. Watch out: screen time is the sum of the time spent on ALL devices with a screen!
Which type of connected parent are you? Take the test.
Today’s parents face a challenge that their own parents never had to: how to support children online. What are the ground rules? How do you discuss screen time and use with little ones and teens? Find out which type of connected parent you are by taking the test!